Battle Creek, MI 49037 US
This exciting new position is a Direct-Hire, permanent position with a very nice salary that reflects the position s responsibilities.
Relocation assistance is available.
This position is a key part of the Senior Management Team with unlimited growth potential. Successful candidates must be experienced with Die Cast Tooling in an Automotive Plant.
Plant Launch experience is a plus.
Summary of Responsibilities
The Tooling Engineer is responsible for and manages the cast and trim tooling used for production and prototypes
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability and essential duties required to successfully perform this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage die cast die and trim tooling build, design and spare parts to produce the highest Net Casting Rate.
- Design die cast dies: Runner, Cooling, Vacuum systems, etc. To ensure best part quality and optimize yield.
- Designs die seals for best vacuum performance and leak prevention.
- Calculate and design cooling system to ensure best part quality and optimal cycle time.
- Typical designs include: vacuum, seals, hydraulic actuated cores/slides, squeeze cores, jet-cooled cores, etc.
- Optimize tooling performance by utilizing coatings and materials to improve die life and reduce/eliminate soldering.
- Design features that facilitate quick die change.
- Maintain list of standard tooling components (cylinders, limit switches, proxy switches, etc.)
- Develop and maintain Die Standards to: 1. Improve production performance (Net Casting Rate), 2. Optimize casting yield and, 3. Minimize tooling costs / good casting.
- Collaborate with Tool room Manager to develop and maintain Tooling PM System.
- Responsible for improving uptime and reducing maintenance costs of DC & Trim dies. Determine root-cause analysis and implement counter-measures.
- Analyze die IR images and improve die cooling to improve thermal balance of DC die
- Utilize 3D FEA, Flow and Solidification analysis to improve designs.
- Perform dimensional analysis; implement counter-measures to improve dimensional capability. Complete understanding of casting tolerances and GD&T.
- Collaborate with Machining Engineer to minimize machining stock and machining operations.
- Oversee tooling builds w/ tool shops. Manage timing and budget.
- Maintain master tool drawings. Provide access to Tool room staff for all tooling maintenance minimizing downtime and costs.
- SME: DC Dies, Trim Dies, trim presses and straightening tooling/equipment.
- Optimize shot component life (shot component cost / good shot)
- Calculate tooling clearances based on thermal expansion and minimum flow distances.
- Utilize poke yokes in tool design to prevent misassemble.
- Flexibility to travel
- Work environment includes office and manufacturing plant floor
- To work in a fast paced working environment
- Experienced in a launch environment
- Bachelor of Science - Mechanical/Industrial Engineering
- 5-10 years related experience in the high pressure die castings in the automotive industry
- Die Design, Runner & Cooling Design experience
- Proficient in 2D and 3D CAD
- Lean Manufacturing background & Six Sigma preferred